Something New AND Something Blue

I picked up this blue onyx cab awhile ago. I didn't know what I was going to do with it (like most rocks I get), but the color completely sucked me in. Yesterday, it found its home in a swirled heart pendant setting I made. Yes, I realize I'm biased, but I love how it turned out. That blue is just... BAM! Thank you Mother Nature! I hope I've done your work justice.


I made a swirly setting with a hidden heart on the back for this crazy beautiful blue onyx. The Earth made the onyx.

I wanted to play with a setting that was asymmetrical and kind of free form. I started by making the the bezel (the thin band that holds the onyx) and torch soldered rings and hand-formed, hammered swirls around the outside. I continued with the back--two more swirls coming together to make a heart that also hold the stone in place. I set the stone and tumble polished the finished pendant to a high shine. The color of the onyx is so beautiful, you'll swear it's made of dolphin tears. Don't worry--they're happy tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment